Events for January 2011
- Evening with des Trois Enfants @ Earth Bread + Brewery January 06, 2011 - Earth Bread + Brewery, 7136 Germantown Ave., Phila.
- Des Trois Enfants is a collaboration between Earth's Jon Defibaugh, McKenzie's Ryan Michales , and Iron Hill West Chester's Jean Broillet (who is in the process of creating his own brewpub, Tired Hands), brewed at EB+B. It is a dark rye farmhouse ale; 6.7% abv, and will be featured tonight. Other saisons by the three young brewers will also be available. 5pm-10pm. Pay As You Go.
- Dogfish/Sly Fox Dinner @ Barbuzzo January 12, 2011 - Barbuzzo, 110s. 13 St., Philadelphia
- Sly Fox and Dogfish Head team up for dinner at what some are saying is Philly's best new restaurant. Craig Laban recently awarded the Mediterranean bar and bistro three bells. There will be seatings throughout the night and its almost sold out. 6-9pm. More info: 215.546.9300.
- Cuvée de Cliveden Debut @ EB+B January 13, 2011 - Earth Bread + Brewery, 7136 Germantown Ave., Phila.
- Cuvée de Cliveden, a collaborative brew, will debut at Mt. Airy's Earth Bread + Brewery on Thursday, January 13. An opening reception will be held from 4:30 to 10pm at EB+B next Thursday. A special Cliveden Brewers' glass will be offered $9, which includes both the beer and the glass. Each purchased glass will help to support new educational programs at Cliveden addressing history and racial equality. For more details, see our news story.
- Stone Brewing Event @ Drafting Room January 14, 2011 - Drafting Room, 635 N. Pottstown Pike, Exton
- Four featured beers: Cali- Belgique (firkin), Lucky Bastard, Sublimely-Self Righteous Ale & Smoked Porter plus menu specials. Starts @ 6pm. Pay As You Go.
- Friday Night Sampling: Brew Works Hops'solutely Triple IPA January 14, 2011 - The Beer Yard
- 5-7pm, per usual. This is the beer everybody's talking about and here's your chance to give it a try. Everybody's talking about Mark too, so he'll likely be hiding in the cool box.
- Bottle Blowout @ Teresa's January 15, 2011 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- Starts @ Noon and some lucky soul will win a Salmanazar of Piraat (that's a 9-Liter bottle, friends). You get one ticket for every bottle purchased for takeout from the Bottle Blowout List before the drawing. The Drawing will be held at 4PM. Must be present at actual time of the drawing in order to win.
What is on the list? Lots of beer. Says Andy Dickerson: "Our beer bottle list wants to evolve. In order to do so we are going to be thinning our current bottle list by about half. What that means to you is that there will be many of your favorite and our favorite beers on the chopping block for half of their normal price, along with several one off beers, rare gems and surprises that we have squirreled away, when purchased for takeout. Don't worry, some staples will remain. New favorites will be discovered for many more adventures in beer.
"We will be pouring a gravity keg of ??? on the bar. For hopheads we have some usual suspects like Double Trouble, Pliny the Elder, Blind Pig and Flower Power. For those who like big and roasty, we will have World Wide Stout '09, BrewDog Tokyo '09, Haand Dark Force, and Ballast Point Barrel Aged Sea Monster '09. And for those who can't decide we will have Dogfish Red & White and Black & Blue also from 2009. Sounds like a good day!"
- Low And Slow – That Is The Tempo @ Khyber Pass Pub January 16, 2011 - Khyber Pass Pub, 56 S. 2 St., Philadelphia
- Khyber Pass Pub will host acclaimed BBQ expert and author, Gary Wiviott, at 7pm for dinner, drinks and the lowdown on how to make great bbq at home. Gary Wiviott is a BBQ “life coach” and the author of Low and Slow: Master The Art Of Barbecue In 5 Easy Lessons. The family style meal will feature ribs, brisket, smoked duck and pork served alongside fried okra, collard greens, baked beans and more. Paired selections from Khyber Pass Pub’s extensive draft beer menu, as well as Rye whiskey cocktails, will be served with this southern fare. The dinner also includes a talk by Gary Wiviott with a question and answer period. $35 per person (tax and gratuity included). 215.238.5888
- Italian Beer for Winos @ Tria January 19, 2011 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Master Sommelier Melissa Monosoff of Savona restaurant and Brendan Kingston of über-cool importer B. United International want to change the way you think about Italian wines. They want you to think about Italian beers. Creative breweries share the Italian landscape with its classic wineries, and you'll taste the best of both in this class. Sip the Italian wine styles you love alongside wildly inventive craft brews from the same regions and compare each with classic cheeses. Beer, Wine and Cheese - this is what Tria is all about. 6:30 - 8:00 PM. $65 per attendee
- Annual Robbie Burns Birthday Bash @ Sly Fox Phoenixville January 21, 2011 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, 520 Kimberton Rd., Phoenixville
- Things get started at 6pm. Gang Aft Agley Scotch Ale and Burns Scottish Ale will be pouring, famed bagpiper Daivd Bailliff will be piping and the arrival of the Haggis (6:30pm) will be marked by Ian Turnbull's reading of Burns' Ode to a Haggis. Celtic Spirit will play music throughout the evening. This year Sly Fox will also reward everyone who attends wearing a kilt with a free pint and have a judging of the best Kilt attire, male and female, with first, second and third place prizes.More info: 610.935.4540
- Long Trail NIght @ Drafting Room January 21, 2011 - Drafting Room, 635 N. Pottstown Pike, Exton
- Eight Long Trail Beers on Tap: Brewmaster Coffee Stout, Brewmaster Imperial Porter, Brewmaster Imperial Red, Hibernator Scotch Ale, Pale Ale, IPA (unfiltered) & Long Trail Ale. Starts @ 6pm. Pay As You Go.
- TJ's Belgian Beer Paradise January 22, 2011 - TJ's Restaurant & Drinkery, 35 Paoli Plaza, Paoli
- On Tap:
Avec Les Bons Voeux
Bier de Miel
Brasserie de Cazeau Noel
Brasserie des Rocs Triple Impériale
Ellezelloise Hercule Stout
Glazen Toren Cuvee Angelique
Gouden Carolus Grand Cru of The Emporer
Het Alternateif The Bitter Truth
Hof Ten Dormaal Blond
La Rulles Tripel
Petrus Aged Pale
Rodenbach Vintage Oak Aged Ale
Sint Canarus Potteloereke
St Feuillien Tripel
St Feuillien La Blanche
Noon to Midnight. Pay As Yoou Go.
- The Trouble with Trippels II @ Johnny Brenda's January 22, 2011 - Johnny Brenda's, 1201 N. Frankford Ave., Philadelphia
- The Trouble with Trippels returns with these brews on tap starting at 11am (and going all day and night): Victory Golden Monkey, Brew Works Triple, Stoudt's Abbey Tripel, Weyerbacher Merry Monks, Dock Street Prisoner of Hell, Flying Fish Exit 4, Riverhorse Triplehorse, Allagash Tripel, Manayunk Monl from the 'Yunk & Sly Fox Incubus.
DJ stylings of Hello from the Children of Planet Earth from noon-5pm. Pay As You Go.
- A Robbie Burns Tasty Tuesday @ Teresa's January 25, 2011 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- Come celebrate the Scotch poet, Robbie Burns, with Single Malt, Haggis, Mead * a firkin of Robert Burns Scotch Ale from Sly Fox. TND will be featuring the Meads from StoneKeep Meadery in Birdsboro to celebrate Robbie Burns Day. Burns, Scotland’s favorite bard, was known for his love of Scotch, haggis, mead, ale and all things Scottish. The staff will be wearing kilts for your enjoyment.. Join in for a night of delicious debauchery.
- Brooklyn Beer Dinner with Steve Hindy @ Monk’s January 25, 2011 - Monk's Cafe, 16 & Spruce, Philadelphia
- Brooklyn Brewery founder, Steve Hindy, will be on hand to discuss his start-up back in 1987 for meal featuring six of Brooklyn's high-end beers. 7pm. SOLD OUT. For waiting list, call 215.545.7005.
- Belgium Comes to West Chester January 29, 2011 - Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant, 3 W Gay St., West Chester
- 17 breweries will be pouring their best Belgian-style brews at this annual gathering. 1-5pm. Pay As You Go. Special preview for Mug Club members at Noon. The beers:
Iron Hill Fred, Sour Dubbel, Wee Funky, Saison du Hill and Quadrupel. Others: Sorachi Ace and Local One from Brooklyn Brewery; Tripel Threat from Cambridge Brewing Company; Dark Abby from Devil’s Backbone; Red and White from Dogfish Head; Exit 4 Hoppy Tripel from Flying Fish; No Name [Cannibal Tribute] from Harpoon; Brut from Ithaca; Black Tulip Tripel Ale from New Holland; Rudy’s Kung Fu Grip from Nodding Head; Something Belgian from Rock Bottom; Ichor from Sly Fox; Stumblin’ Monk from Stewart’s; Tripel from Stoudt’s; Scratch 34: Tim’s Belgian Brown from Troeg’s; Golden Monkey from Victory; and Trubbel de Yards from Yards.
- 3rd Annual(ish) Beer Chili Cook-Off @ Khyber Pass Pub January 29, 2011 - Khyber Pass Pub, 56 S. 2 St., Philadelphia
- Contestants cook up a batch of chili prepared with a beer of their choice. All chilis will be judged by an esteemed panel of experts, and beer prizes will be awarded. Entry is free, and you can still come and judge the chili for yourself even if you are not competing. Contestants must sign up at the bar. 215.238.5888
- Stout Beer Brunch @ The Drafting Room January 30, 2011 - Drafting Room, 635 N. Pottstown Pike, Exton
- A Sunday buffet brunch featuring a collection of Stout style beers: Port Older Viscosity; Founder's Kentucky Bourbon Stout; Rogue Russian Imperial Stout (Vintage 2009), Flying Fish Exit 13, Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, Stoudt's Fat Dog. Long Trail Coffee Stout Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. Weyerbacher 15th Anniversary & Nogne Dark Horizon (First Edition). Brunch begins @ 10:00am; Beers available after 11:00am. Featured beers available in 5oz, 10oz or 14oz pours. Pay As You Go.