Events for August 2009
- Belgium Comes to Cooperstown July 31, 2009 - August 01, 2009 - Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY
- Friday July 31: Multi-course catered dinner with beer pairings. Guest speakers. Live band. Saturday August 1: 12 noon- doors open. 2-6pm- Belgian and Belgian-style beer tasting. 45-50 breweries and 5+ Belgian Specialty Importers. All in all over 200 beers to sample. 3 pm- Live music begins. Food vended separately all day. 7 pm- Ommegang beer stand opens. After dark- Bonfire and Beatles movies. THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT
- Great Lakes Debut @ Blue Ox August 01, 2009 - Blue Ox Bistro Bar & Grille, 7880 Oxford Ave., Fox Chase
- Featuring Dortmunder Gold and Elliott Ness Amber Lager. $3 pints and Brats. Flights of all five Great Lakes beer will be available. 7-9pm. Pay as you go.
- A Taste of Fest @ Yards August 02, 2009 - Yards Brewing Co., 901 N. Delaware Avenue, Philadelphia
- Yards Brewing Company, the official beer sponsor for the Philadelphia Folk Festival, is parntering with the Folk Song Society to do a pre-Fest warmup, a party at its new wind-powered showroom in Philadelphia. Music by Boris Garcia, West Philadelphia Orchestra, and Kelly and the Ruths, plus tastings of select Yard's beers and delicious food.Proceeds benefit the Philadelphia Folk Festival and the non-profit Philadelphia Folksong Society. Whether you've been coming for your years or have never attended, this is the perfect pre-party to get geared up for the Festival on August 14-16. There will also be a raffle for products from Martin Guitar, and tickets to see Joan Osbourne and Sharon Little perform at the Keswick Theater. $10 for PFS Members, $12 for Non-Members. Buy tickets online using the link above.
- East End Brewing @ Earth Bread + Brewery August 02, 2009 - Earth Bread + Brewery, 7136 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia
- Featuing a collaboration between East End's head brewer Scott Smith and EB+B's Tom Baker. Come to Earth and try a pint of kavass. 215.242.6666
- McGillin's Author Series: Joe Sixpack August 04, 2009 - McGillin's Olde Ale House, 1310 Drury St.
- McGillin's Olde Ale House is presenting a series of author readings highlighting books that feature McGillin's - from suspense novels to beer guides and from comic books to business how-tos. Tonight, starting at 6pm, Don Russell with read from Joe Sixpack's Philly Beer Guide: A Reporter's Notes on the Best Beer-Drinking City in America, starting at 6 p.m. The evening will culminate when "Abe Lincoln" (who was elected president the year McGillin's opened) will tap the first firkin of McGillin's 1860 Anniversary IPA. This beer was created by Stoudt's Brewing for the tavern's upcoming 150th anniversary, which begins in 150 days. In addition, a giant clock will begin counting down to the historic tavern's anniversary celebration, which begins in 2010.
- Meet The Brewer Series: Dock Street @ Spinnerstown August 05, 2009 - Spinnerstown Hotel, 2195 Spinnerstown Rd., Spinnerstown
- Enjoy four beers including Sudan Grass, Hop Garden Double IPA, a special Hefeweizen and a special Pale Ale. Served with delicious food pairings prepared by Chef Karl. Make your reservation now! Seats fill up quickly! $35 per person 7pm Call 215.536.7242 to reserve.
- Sly Fox Hops Project Night @ EB+B August 07, 2009 - Earth Bread + Brewery, 7136 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia
- Sly Fox Hop Project Flights available all night, your chance to try the first seven hops of Sly Fox Hop Project. 2009. More info: 215.242.6666
- Get Your Goat (Cheese) @ Tria August 07, 2009 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Explore the wondrous world of goat-milk cheeses at their seasonal peak with Chris Munsey, cheese expert from Murray’s Cheese in NYC. Discover the wide range of styles of goat cheese with vibrant flavors perfect for summer fare. You’ll taste goaty goodness ranging from fresh and tart to luscious and aged. Plus: We’ll pour the quintessential beer and wine partners for these cheeses and have some fun along the whey. 6:30 - 8pm. $50.
- American Homebrewers Association Rally @ Sly Fox August 08, 2009 - Sly Fox Brewery & Restaurant, Royerford
- An AHA Rally is a membership gathering at a local brewery. AHA member can attend for free, non-members must join at the door to gain admission. Sly Fox will offer $6 growlers fills to all attendees (please bring your own growlers; they have some for sale but the supply is low while they await a new shipment). There will also be light fare and beer samples available, along with brewery tours. 2-5pm More Information: 610.948-8088
- Brew B Que (Victory) August 08, 2009 - Twin Brook Winery, 5697 Strasburg Rd, Gap, PA
- Inaugural joint event held on over 10 acres at Twin Brook Winery. Brew B Que will be an afternoon of live music barbeque and of course Victory beer. The event will also be host to a Mid-Atlantic Barbecue Association (MABA) sanctioned barbeque competition. Rain or shine. Free to attend. Noon-4pm.
- Short Course in Beer August 09, 2009 - Clivenden of the National Trust, 6401 Germantown Ave., Phila
- oin Cliveden on Sunday, August 9 from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm for “A Short Course on Beer.” The program will feature a lecture by beer scholar Lynn Hoffman followed by a book signing. A reception sponsored by Cliveden’s homebrew club, the Cliveden Brewers, will conclude the evening. The Cliveden Brewers meet monthly at Cliveden to discuss home brewing techniques and sample each others’ brews. After the lecture, the Brewers will be on hand at a reception to share their equipment and recent experiences. The event price of $35 per person includes a copy of Mr. Hoffman’s book, Space is limited and reservations are recommended to ensure seating and a copy of the book. Tickets will be sold at the door depending on space availability. To RSVP and for further details, please contact Cliveden at 215-848-1777.
- McGillin's Author Series: Lew Bryson August 11, 2009 - McGillin's Olde Ale House, 1310 Drury St.
- McGillin's Olde Ale House is presenting a series of author readings highlighting books that feature McGillin's - from suspense novels to beer guides and from comic books to business how-tos. Tonight,chat about breweries and brewpubs with beer expert Lew Bryson, starting at 6 p.m. Bryson is author of four regional brewery guides, including PA Breweries, which provides information about 53 of Pennsylvania's breweries and brewpubs. In his book, Bryson calls McGillin's "a great place to have a beer with a buddy or your spouse, and they have some really good stuff on tap." Pints of McGillin's 1860 IPA reduced to $2.
- Millvale Brew Fest August 15, 2009 - Riverfront Park, Millvale, PA
- The Borough of Millvale, Millvale MainStreet and The Millvale Borough Development Corporation will host their Third Annual Brew Festival at the Millvale Riverfront Park. The event will feature two sessions, 1-4 PM or 5-8 PM. Tickets are sold separately for each session and will include beer, live entertainment, food, and souvenir logo tasting glass. Ticket cost is $30 (advance) or $35 (at the event); designated drivers can purchase a food ticket for $10 (advance) or $15 (at the event). Contact Eddie Figas at firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase tickets. The Brew Festival will be held at the Millvale Riverfront Park on the shore of the Allegheny River. Craft, Micro and Specialty Import Brews from around the country will be featured along with local food and live entertainment.
Millvale was devastated by flooding from Hurricane Ivan in 2004 and is still recovering from the devastation. Monies raised will help the Nonprofit Millvale Borough Development Corporation and Millvale MainStreet stabilize, revitalize and rejuvenate Millvale’s neighborhoods, through the development of housing, and businesses.
- 7th Annual Berks County Celtic Oyster Fest Pub Crawl August 15, 2009 - Downtown Reading, PA
- Four bars, five great beers will be featured. Rt. 113 & Oysterfest Ale IPA @ The Peanut Bar (332 Penn St.) 6-8:30pm; Pikeland Pils and Oysterfest Ale @ The Speckled Hen (30 S. 4 St.) 7-9pm; Incubus Tripel & Oysterfest Ale @ Ugly Oyster Drafthaus (5th & Cherry) 8-10pm; Oktoberfest & Oysterfest Ale @ Cavanaugh's Downtown Reading Hofbrau (48 S. 6 St.) 9-11pm.
- Grey Lodge 13th Anniversary Celebration August 15, 2009 - Grey Lodge Pub, 6235 Frankford Ave., Phila.
- The Grey Lodge 13th Anniversary is like the holiday that used to be called Washington's Birthday. Calendars used to say Washington's Birthday (observed) and Washington's Birthday (actual). The pub's actual anniversary is August 13t, but The celebration will be Saturday August 15. Unlike Washington's Birthday (actual or observed), the day will be marked by 13 events in 13 hours. Brewers and give-aways every hour. This is the schedule at the moment:
11am: Dock Street Triskaidekaphilia Premier and Wurst Breakfast
12pm: Stone Event with Cali-Belgique, Levitation, & 13th Anniversary
1pm: Philly Brewing and their new Cherry Beer
2pm: Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Fest
3pm: Weyerbacher Event
4pm: Pils and Phils with Victory Brewing
5pm: Grey Lodge's Bar Mitzvah with Stoudt's
6pm: Six Sixpoint Sixtels at Six
7pm: Flashback with Boulder Flashback
8pm: Yards Crazy 8's at 8!
- Great Beer Expo August 15, 2009 - Philadelphia Navy Yard, 5100 Broad St., Phila.
- Philly's First International Great Beer Expo. Session I: 12:30 pm – 4:00 pm (doors open at 11:30 am) Session II: 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm (doors open at 5:00 pm). Details at website.
- Philadelphia Brewing @ Buck Hotel August 20, 2009 - Buck Hotel, 1200 Buck Road, Feasterville, PA
- Take a trip to fabulous Bucks County as Philadelphia Brewing, in conjunction with The Buck Hotel and Philly Beer Scene Magazine, brings you a night of beer paired with food and food paired with beer. $45 ticket entitles you to a five course meal with delicious PBC brews, tax and gratuity included. The PBC crew including brewer Josh Ervine will be there to talk beer, food and maybe other things. Festivities start at 7pm. Menu online. More info: 215.396.2002
- A Victorious Beer Summer August 20, 2009 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- It's summertime and the living is cheesy with Victory Brewing Company president and brew master Bill Covaleski and Tria Fermentation School principal and cheese wiz Erin McLean. Join this delicious duo for equally delightful pairings of seasonal beers from Victory, one of the nation’s top craft breweries, and farm-fresh artisan cheeses. Discover the power of partnering beer and cheese; it’s not just a summer fling. 6:30-8pm. $50
- The 2009 Matthew Smith Memorial Golf Tournament August 21, 2009 - Sportsman's Golf Course, 3800 Lingelstown Rd., Harrisburg
- The 7th annual " Smitty" will have a 1:30 Shotgun Start at Sportsman's Golf Course. Over the past 6 years this event has raised nearly $57,000 for the benefit of bereaved families. Please join in as Appalachian continues to celebrate Matt's life and further its support of worthy organizations like Highmark Caring Place, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Camp Dragon Fly.
For additional information, call or email Sam Jones at Lamar Advertising 717-763-8300.
- Beer Fest @ The Ball Park August 22, 2009 - Citizens Bank Park, South Philadelphia
- At McFadden's. 25 breweries, Phillies vs. Mets, $35 in advance, $40 at door. 4-8pm. See link for more details & to buy tickets.
- Beer Geek Summer Brunch @ Teresa's August 23, 2009 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- Starts at 11am. Pay as you go. From Teresa's website:
"Everyone wants to found out what’s for breakfast, eh?
Well Pauwel is coming in with his brother, Jacob and they re-Cantilloned to me this story about the brunch…
"While walking my large dog with wit and four paws, I came across an old man with a sightless hog, who damned me for being tempted to speak, of what is to come from the river…
"Fifteen times will you jump, lest you wipe out all chance of judgment, on this day of devotion, The Hop engines will pour the Back and the Mouth, A Blue Bird will bear forth woodruff, to stir into the Bruery’s libation.
As old Nitro Grigori Yefimovich turned and walked past,
I gaffed at his cologne, exclaiming, take a bath in single witkap and a long nightcap. To which he responded nothing is complete, without Karmeliet."
- McGillin's Auhor Series: Duane Swierczynski August 25, 2009 - McGillin's Olde Ale House, 1310 Drury St.
- McGillin's Olde Ale House is presenting a series of author readings highlighting books that feature McGillin's - from suspense novels to beer guides and from comic books to business how-tos. Tonight, crime novelist Duane Swierczynski, who wrote about Frank Castle's escapades in Philadelphia for Marvel Comics' "The Punisher," will sign copies of the newly-published trade paper back starting at 6 p.m. For the comic book, Duane created an historic tavern, called Interesting Times Pub, which was modeled after McGillin's. Pints of McGillin's 1860 IPA reduced to $2.
- Tröegstacular Night @ Craft Ale House August 26, 2009 - Craft Ale House, 708 West Ridge Pike, Limerick
- A Night @ Craft Ale House featuring a rare special brew of Nugget Nectar on the Firkin ( a small batch brewed for the GABF this year) and, on tap, Troegenator Doublebock, Rugged Trail Nut Brown Ale, Sunshine Pils, Dreamweaver Wheat and a Mystery Keg of something special Pint Glass giveaways while supplies last. Starts at 6pm. Pay as you go.
- Outdoor Beer & Barbecue at General Lafayette August 29, 2009 - General Lafayette Brewery & Inn, 646 Germantown Pike, Lafayette Hill, PA
- Featuring Smoked Pork Shoulder courtesy of Mr. Derek Fess; full BBQ-style buffet; Chicken, Burgers, Dogs, Salads, Desserts, etc.; General Lafayette Beers including the release of our Barrel Aged Sour Brown Ale, and some special cellared vintage ales from Chris' private stock. Feel free to bring your own beers for tasting, exchange, etc. $31.99 all-inclusive - Rain or Shine. ($19.99 without beer). 1-4pm
- Dark Horse Comes to TJ's August 29, 2009 - TJ's Restaurant & Drinkery, Paoli Village Shops, Paoli
- An all day event, pay as you go. On Tap: Rod, Boffo Brown, One Oatmeal Stout, Crooked Tree IPA, Scotty Karate, Raspberry Ale, Special Reserve Black Bier & Sapient Trip Ale. In Bottles: Crooked Tree IPA, Raspberry Ale. , Special Reserve Black Bier & Sapient Trip Ale. More information: 610-725-0100