If you have a beer event or other activity coming up which would be of interest to our audience, please let us know so we can include it on our calendar.
Events for May 2009
- Friday Night Sampling: Fuller's May 01, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- 5-7pm, of course, 'cause that's how we roll. We'll be pouring some of Britain's greatest beers, Fullers ESB, London Pride & Londo Porter. Be sure to say "Hi, Guv" to Mark.
- McCoole's Spring Festival May 02, 2009 - McCoole's Arts & Events Place, 10 S. Main St., Quakertown
- Two sessions. 40 beers. 12-4pm. 5-9pm. $27, purchase online. More details at website.
- 2009 Delaware Barleywine Expo May 02, 2009 - Stewart's Brewing Company, Bear, Del.
- This year the event will be concentrating on barleywines from local breweries accompanied by locally produced food. Confirmed beers include Barleywines from Dogfish Head, Iron Hill, Flying Fish, Nodding Head, Stoudt's, and Victory, along with at least eight vintages from the Stewart's vault, including the very last keg of our GABF gold medal winning 2002. More details soon.
- Sly Fox Goat Race & Bock Festival May 03, 2009 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Phoenixville
- The annual Sly Fox Bock Festival & Goat Race (which determines the name of the year's Maibock) draws thousands to Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery in Phoenixville's Pikeland Village Square to enjoy German food and music and what may be the most extensive lineup of Bock beers poured at any brewpub in the nation on a single day: Slacker Bock, Helles Bock, Instigator Doppelbock, two Eisbocks (Slacker and Instigator) and the To-Be-Named-Later Maibock.
The race itself has evolved into a multi-heat event leading to a final run matching the day's best performers. 11am starting time, 2pm races, Maibock tapped after winner is determined.
- Duck Rabbit Brewery Debut @ Teresa's May 04, 2009 - Teresa'sd Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave., Wayne
- 6-8pm the Duck Rabbit Brewery will be here from North Carolina. This is the PA premiere for these beers. As always fun food pairings and flight will be available to sample all their brews. Pay as you go.
- SPECIAL Monday Tasting: Duck Rabbit May 04, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- The brewery everybody's been waiting for comes to town! 4-6pm, we will be pouring Milk Stout, Porter, Brown and Amber. Be sure to see our Store Note on pre-ordering Russian Imperial Stout and Barleywine, which will arrive in limited quantities and the calendar event for the Teresa's Duck Rabbit Debut Party which will take place right after our Tasting.
- Troegs Sunshine Pils Release Party @ TJ's May 05, 2009 - TJ's Restaurant & Drinkery, 35 Paoli Plaza, Paoli
- Join Nick Johnson and Chris Trogner for this seasons debut of Troegs Sunshine Pils. On Tap: Sunshine Pils, Hopback Amber (Cask), Dreamweaver Wheat &
Troegenator Doppelbock. 6-8pm
- Cinco de Dogfish @ Union Jack's May 05, 2009 - Union Jack's Inn on Manatawny, 546 Manatawny Rd., Oley, PA
- Starts at 4pm. The beers: 90 Minute !PA, 60 Minute IPA, Black and Blue, Aprihop, Palo Santo Maron, Burton Baton & Midas Touch, all on tap. live music (The Raucous Brothers) and a special southwestern menu will also be featured. For more information: 610.689.0189
- Meet The Brewer Series: River Horse @ Spinnerstown May 06, 2009 - Spinnerstown Hotel, 2195 Spinnerstown Rd., Spinnerstown
- This month's Meet the Brewer series presents The Beers of River Horse Brewing Company. Start time 7pm. Enjoy four beers including Summer Blonde, English Mild Special Ale, Hopalotomus and Tripel Horse. Food pairings are prepared by Chef Karl. $35 Reservations: 215.536.7242
- Sly Fox Beer Dinner @ Alison two May 06, 2009 - Alison two, 424 S. Bethlehem Pike, Blue Bell
- Chef Alison Barshak will pair a 5-course menu with beers from Sly Fox. The Menu: Frito Misto, Butter Ponzu, Cod, Sawagani Crabs & Broccoli Bites with Robiola with Royal Weisse; Hanger Steak Tartare, Rye Ice Cream, Green Apple with Christmas Ale; Ricotta Gnocchi & Mussels Gratin, Smoked Tomatoes Ras El Hanout with Rt. 113 IPA; Fried Pork Cheeks, Brussels Sprouts Choucroute with O'Reilly's Stout BBQ Sauce with O'Reilly's Stout ; Bittersweet Chocolate Layer Cake, Chocolate Sorbet with Ichor Quadrupel.
$56 all inclusive. Limited seating. Reservations required: 215.591.0200
- Spring Bock-tacular @ Earht Bread + Brewery May 07, 2009 - May 13, 2009 - Earth Bread + Brewery, 7136 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia
- A week long Bock beer celebration with Bocks from all around the globe featured, including locals Sly Fox Instigator, Tröegs Troegenator, and Victory St. Boisterous. Ayinger, Spaten and Paulaner breweries will represent the home of the Bocks.
- Beer 101 @ The Philly Beer School May 08, 2009 - The Wine School, Classroom 201, 2008 Fairmount Ave., Phila.
- This popular beer class is an introduction to beer styles and Home Brewing, and was recently featured on CBS News: Philly Beer School on CBS. A great class for the beer enthusiast and the budding homebrewer. $29.99
- Brewfest at Mount Hope May 08, 2009 - May 09, 2009 - Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire 2775 Lebanon Road, Manheim
- Swashbuckler Brewing Company's first brewfest. It kicks off with a Friday Night Concert and VIP Brewfest Tasting and then on Saturday, the grounds of Mount Hope Estate will come alive with more entertainment, visiting breweries, food, cooking demonstrations, beer tastings, merchants and vendors and a whole lot more! A great weekend of celebration to the art of the brew! $40. Details and tickets at the website. UPDATE: A homebrew competition has been added. Details here.
- Cheese & Meat & Beer & Wine...Smokin'! @ Tria May 15, 2009 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Chris Munsey of NYC's legendary Murray's Cheese will ignite your fire for all things smoked with treats from Murray's cheese cave and their new Real Salami program. A range of artisan cheeses including Smoked Mozzarella, Fiore Sardo and Rogue Smoky Blue plus cured meats like Italian Speck and Vermont Maple Smoked Ham will be perfectly paired with libations ranging from effervescent beer to smoky red wine. Who says that smoking isn't good for you? 6:30 - 8:00 pm. $60
- Friday Night Sampling: Yards May 15, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- Admit it, the world just didn't seem right until Yards got back into the market and was brewing its own beers. We'll be pouring all we can find tonight--ESA, Pale Ale, Love Stout, the Beers of Revolution Ales and, of course, Brawler (or as we like to call it, "Mark"). 5-7pm
- Weyerbacher Special Event May 15, 2009 - Weyerbacker Brewing Co., 905 Line St. Easton, PA
- Special Event at the Brewery 5-7 pm. . Brewers will be on hand to answer all questions. The beers:
Special Edition, Unfiltered, Fully Bottle-Conditioned Double Simcoe IPA in 750ml Cork n Cage bottles (samples will be available for tasting and cases for purchase. Price will be $59 for case of 12, plus tax); Foxtrot, the latest in the Brewers’ Select series of one-off beers (a dark-amber Biere de Garde created by brewer Dan Hitchcock. Tasting samples and bottles for purchase will be on hand).
Additionally, cases of Merry Monks Cork n Caged 750s at $59 per case and samples of the same as well.
- Yardley Beer Fest May 16, 2009 - Buttonwood Park W. Afton & S. Main St., Yardley
- Second Annual Beer Fest Supporting the Officer Chris Jones Memorial Scholarship Fund. Less than 150 Tickets left as of 5/3!! Sold out in 2008 and will have a limited amount of tickets at the door. Order online. 1-5pm $30
- Sierra Nevada Artisinal Ale Experience @ TJ's May 16, 2009 - TJ's Restaurant & Drinkery, Paoli Village Shops, Paoli
- Rep Patrick Mullin will be there, 6-10pm. On Tap: Southern Hemisphere Harvest, Chico IPA, Saison Brown, Summerfest, Pale Ale and Kellerweis (This is only one of two kegs coming to the area for the launch of Sierra's new year round bottled offering). 7oz tasters or full 16oz pints will be available through the night. Pay as you go.
- Brandywine Valley Craft Brewers Festival May 16, 2009 - Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant, 30 E. State St., Media
- SOLD OUT! This exciting event showcases offerings from 25 regional breweries, with proceeds donated to the Media Youth Center. 1-5pm. rain or shine. Tickets are $35 online and $40 at the door; advance ticket purchase is advised, as this event often sells out early.
- Belgian Beer &Cigars @ Blue Ox Bistro May 17, 2009 - Blue Ox Bistro Bar & Grille, 7880 Oxford Ave., Fox Chase
- Palm Breweries & Arrowhead Cigars, in conjunction with the Blue Ox Bistro, present Three Great Beers and Three Wonderful Cigars in the Bisto's Open Air Biergarten. 4-7pm Limited to the first 40 people. For details: 215.728.9440
- Founder's Kentucky Breakast Brunch @ Teresa's May 17, 2009 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- Kentucky Breakfast Stout is back! So get out your bathrobe and join the crowd for the famed and acclaimed Kentucky Breakfast Stout, regular Breakfast Stout, Imperial Stout, Curmudgeon, Backwoods Bastard, Double Trouble and Rubeus all on tap together! Pay as you go.
- Warsaw in Wissinoning: Yards Grodziski Night @ Grey Lodge May 22, 2009 - Grey Lodge Pub, 6235 Frankford Ave., Philadelphia
- Join Yards at the legendary Grey Lodge in the Great Northeast as they tap the last keg of their collaboration brew with Iron Hill for Philly Beer Week in which they resurrected a previously extinct style of beer called Grodziski. This Polish Smoked Wheat beer will be flowing from the taps at the Grey Lodge and Scoats has promised plenty of goodies from Port Richmond. Maybe Kehoe will attempt to replicate his kielbasa feats from Philly Beer Week. 7-11pm. Pay as you go. More info: 215.825.5357
- Locals Only Beer Weekend & Local 44 May 23, 2009 - May 25, 2009 - Local 44, 4333 Spruce Sts., Philadelphia
- Celebrate the unofficial return of Summer this Memorial Day Weekend with your favorite local breweries. Local 44 will be pouring Three Full Days of Local Beer. Expect lots of rare and exciting local drafts, all specially priced and on heavy duty rotation all weekend long! Locals Only Beer Weekend also kicks off a summer long Monday-Friday Local Happy Hour, from 5-7pm. Every day Local 44 will discount a different local draft beer! 215.222.2337 for info.
- IPA & Beyond @ Philly Beer School May 29, 2009 - The Wine School, Classroom 201, 2008 Fairmount Ave., Phila.
- Americans love hopped-up beers like India Pale Ales. Now it's time to learn (and taste!) how different hops affect the taste of beers. Tastings will include the difference between American and British hops, wet versus dry hopping, and a multitude of hopping styles. You may not know the difference between Cascade and Centennial hops, but after this class, you will. $29.99
- Friday Night Sampling: Hoppy Brewing May 29, 2009 - The B eer Yard
- We have a special treat this week as head brewer Terry will be on hand all the way from Sacramento to pour his Hoppy Face Amber, Liquid Sunshine Golden Ale, Stony Face Red Ale & Total Eclipse Black Ale (a stout). 5-7 as always and, just to be clear, "Stony Face Red Ale" is not a nickname for Mark. That we know of, anyway.
- Annual Slow Food Philadelphia Pig Roast May 30, 2009 - Philadelphia Brewing Co., 2439 Amber St., Kensington
- 1-4pm. Enjoy some delicious food and beer. The Delco Nightingales will be on hand with their swingin' jazzy tunes with DJ DNA playing favorites in between (and giving tours). All this fun is only $38 with all proceeds going to Slow Food Philadelphia.
- Appalachian Brewing 12th Anniversary Party May 30, 2009 - Appalachian Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA
- .There will be beers flowing, food barbequing, outhouses flying and music jamming, just to mention just a few things going on. Festivities will kick off at 4:00 pm with an all American barbeque with all the trimmings at no cost. And if you have yet to experience Appalachian's soon to be infamous Outhouse Races you must see the spectacle of this tournament style race to the finish. The checkered flag waves at 5:00 so be there to cheer on your favorite team. After the kids go home the Abbey Bar opens up and the lights go down... ABC is proud to present of Cracker with Back Yard Fire. There is no cover at the door and entry is based on first come first serve so get here early.
- General Lafayette/Philadelphia Brewing Joint Beer Dinner May 30, 2009 - General Lafayette Brewery & Inn, 646 Germantown Pike, Lafayette Hill, PA
- Seven course dinner, 7pm. Menu, beers and pricing to be announced. This will be the first joint dinner in the General Lafayette Resident Brewer program.