Events for April 2009
- Grand Opening (One Year Late) @ Devil's Den April 01, 2009 - Devil's Den, 1147 S, 11 St., Philadelphia
- Because they never got around to having a grand opening party, Devil's Den is throwing one for its anniversary. Come out for $1 off drafts and a complimentary buffet. S0 many special, rare & limited beers along with some of favorite brews will be on draft along with a few firkins that the party will go on for days.
Wednesday 7pm draft list: Russian River Pliny the Younger, Bell's Oberon, Allagash/De Proef Les Duex Basseeurs, Unibroue Maudite, Ommegang Rouge, Spaten Lager, Avery/Russian River Collaboration Not Litigation Ale, Philly Brew Kenzinger, Yards Philly Pale Ale, Ballast Point Victory at Sea, Bruery White Orchard, Sixpoint Righteous Rye, Schneider Avenitnus, Southern Tier Oasked Unearthly, Founder's Backwoods Bastard, Dogfidh Head Red & White. Firkins of Voodoo Wynona's Big Brown Ale & Yard's IPA.
Special Drafts for the rest of the Week: Boulder Mojo Risin & Obovoid, Hitachino Nest White Ale, St Feuillien Printemps, Sinebrychoff Porter, Sixpoint Express, Southern Tier Cuvee 2, Voodoo Gran Met, Wostyntje, Franziskaner, Gaffel Kolsch, firkin of Blue Point Pale Ale (Friday)
- Barley Amongst the Vines @ Philly Beer School April 02, 2009 - The Wine School, Classroom 201, 2008 Farimount Ave., Phila.
- Many areas known for the production of wine also brew some fine beer – what else is a wine maker to drink when their done work. Taste your way through malty farmhouse ales of France, super hoppy IPA's from California, and Lagers from the banks of the Rhein in Germany. 7.30-9:30PM $29.99 More information: 800.817.7351 ext 11
- Russian River Beer & Cheese Event @ Tria April 02, 2009 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Join the gang at Tria for a tapping of two rarely seen, bad-ass Russian River beers paired with award-winning California cheeses, Fiscalini Vintage Bandage Wrapped Cheddar and Cowgirl Creamery Red Hawk. Savor brewer Vinnie Cilurzo's sublime Belgian-style strong dark ale, Salvation, and the ultimate hop head's dream, Pliny the Younger triple IPA. No reservations - just show up/ Special pricing from 4 - 7pm or until the kegs kick.
- Incubus Friday @ Sly Fox Phoenixville April 03, 2009 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Pikeland Village Square, Phoenixville
- On draught only the First Friday of every month @ Phoenixville. Sly Fox's incredible Belgian-style Tripel pours until the keg kicks (usually by 7pm). It's a cult gathering and you need to be there. Trust us. For more information: 610.935.4540
- TJ's Cleaning Out The Walk-in Event April 04, 2009 - TJ's Restaurant & Drinkery, Paoli Village Shops, Paoli
- Management says here's just too much good stuff in the walk-in not to make an event out of it. On Tap:
Bear Republic Racer 5 (Cask)
Bear Republic Apex
Boulder Mojo Risin
Anderson Valley 20th Anniversary
Hoppin Frog Mean Manalishi
Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron
Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti
Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van de Keiser
Boulder Killer Penquin (2007)
Harpoon Leviathan - Baltic Porter
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Stoudt's Old Abominable
North Coast Old Stock
4pm - 1am. Pay as you go.
- Taming of the Brew April 04, 2009 - Caldwell Conisistory, Bloomsburg, PA
- 7-11 pm at the Caldwell Consistory: a wonderful combination of fine beers, delicious food, talented entertainment, a silent auction, and — last but not least — good company. The Taming of the Brew is a fundraiser to support the Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble.
- Russian River Brunch @ Teresa's April 05, 2009 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- Six Russian River beers on tap starting at 11am :Blind Pig, Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, Damnation, Salvation and Consecration. Pay as you go.
- Spinnerstown Connoisseurs' Series: Sly Fox April 07, 2009 - Spinnerstown Hotel, 2195 Spinnerstown Rd., Spinnerstown
- This month's Connoisseurs’ tasting series presents
a beer dinner with unique brews from Sly Fox , starting at 6:30pm. Enjoy five beers including Saison Vos, Panacea Barley Wine, Gang Aft Agley Scotch Ale, Abbey Extra and Phoenix Pale Ale. Suzanne Woods will be in the house. $40 per person. For reservations: 215.536.7242
- Union Jack's Easter Hopfest April 11, 2009 - Union Jack's Inn on Manatawny, 546 Manatawny Rd., Oley, PA
- Beginning at 1pm. The beers: Green Flash Imperial IPA.
Russian River Pliny the Elder & Pliny the Younger, Stone Ruination, Founders Double Trouble, Laughing Dog Alpha Dog Imperial IPA, Moylans Hopsickle, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, Bear Republic Apex, Avery Maharajah, Port Hop 15, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, Manayunk California Dreamin' double IPA, Otto's Double D IPA & Pennichuck Chief's Imperial IPA. More information: 610.689.0189.
- Split Thy Skull 2009 April 11, 2009 - Sugar Mom's Church Street Lounge, 225 Church Street, Philadelphia
- The beers: Victory Old Horizontal, Stone Russian Imperial Stout., Philadelphia Brewing Company Philabuster Wheatwine, Sly Fox Panacea, Founders Backwoods Bastard, Rock Art Vermonster, Kulmbacher Eisbock, Flying Fish Hoppy 3X, Iron Hill Gold Barleywine, Porterhouse Aged Old Ale, Voodoo Love Child & (maybe) Aged Brooklyn Monster.
- Sierra Nevada Stout Firkin @ Teresa's April 11, 2009 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- A firkin of Sierra Nevada Stout will be tapped at 3pm. Chico IPA and the flagship SN Pale Ale will also be pouring. And maybe the near legendary Patrick Mullin will be on the premises as well. For more details: 610.293.9909
- Friday Night Sampling: Boulder April 17, 2009 - The B eer Yard
- Lots of beers from Boulder Brewing will be flowing: Hazed& Infused, Mojo, Mojo Risin, Sweaty Betty and Flashback Anniversary Indian Brown Ale. All that and Mark Sauerbrey in the center ring. 5-7pm
- Big Beer Dinner Series @ Appalachian April 18, 2009 - Appalachian Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA
- ABC Harrisburg will host Voodoo Brewery and Victory Brewing for the first in the new Big Beer Dinner Series . The evening will feature discussion and commentary by Brewmaster's Matt Allyn, Bill Covaleski, and Artie Tafoya between each course about the nuances of the food and beer pairings.
The dinner will kick off at 6pm with an artisan cheese display featuring Wisconsin, Cabot Cheese from Vermont, and Pennsylvania cheeses. These artisan cheeses will be paired with a 12oz ABC Tripelocity (7.8%)
At 7pm, we will serve a plated Idaho Potato Cheese Quiche matched up with a 5oz sample of Victory'sV-Saison (7.5%) as dinner gets underway. Next is a Spinach Salad w/strawberries and Georgia pecans drizzled with Florida orange vinaigrette, paired with a 5oz Voodoo Love Child (10%)
Moving on, you will enjoy 3 entrees on a single plate:
* Beef Tenderloin (done medium) with Jack Daniels Whiskey Sauce, garlic whipped potatoes and grilled asparagus paired with a 5oz ABC's Bourbon Aged Porter (7%)
* Roasted Free-Range Chicken with wild rice and grilled asparagus paired with a 5oz Voodoo PILZILLA (6.75%)
* Kennett Square Mushroom Wellington with a grilled bell pepper medley paired with a 5oz Victory's Golden Monkey (9.5%)
After cleansing the pallet with watermelon sorbet. comes the finale: Hershey Truffles (dark and milk chocolate), paired with 5 oz Voodoo's Big Black Voodoo Daddy (12%). After dinner any remaining Victory and Voodoo beers will be sold for take out!
6-9pm, 2nd floor Gallery. $50.00 (all inclusive) and limited to 78 seats. Call Jodi at ABC Harrisburg (717.221.1080) for reservations.
- Bock Fest @ Teresa's April 19, 2009 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
Eight different bock beers on tap, plus one added treat.. Brunch will not be served, a traditional German beer house menu will be available all day with sausages, cabbages, schnitzels and more. The beers
Lancaster Spring Bock
Sam Adams Doublebock
Sly Fox Instigator
Uerige Double Sticke (1/6)
- Feast of St. Boisterous April 21, 2009 - Victory Brewing Co., Acorn Lane, Downingtown
- St. Boisterous Hellerbock will be released at a five-course meal, $50 per person. 6pm. 610-873-0881 for reservations. More details on website.
- Beer Hunting in Belgium @ Tria April 23, 2009 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Brian Ewing just couldn't stand it any longer - the cycle of beer-drinking trips to Belgium followed by empty-bottled, heartsick life in Brooklyn had to be broken. To get the previously not-for-U.S.-sale beers he loved to this side of the pond (legally) Brian started 12 Percent Imports. His network of boutique Belgian brewers will introduce you to innovative creations as well as perfected classics from 12 Percent's wonderful portfolio. If you think you've drunk your way through Belgium's brews, this class will get you out of your rut and open your eyes. 6:30-8pm. $45. Sign up at website.
- Brett Rocks! @ Philly Beer School April 24, 2009 - The Wine School, Classroom 201, 2008 Farimount Ave., Phila.
- One of the hottest trends in brewing today is the use of wild yeasts. Come and explore the cutting edge of brewing, and learn about the classic beer styles these new brews are based on. Tonight we will taste Lambics, Flemish Sours and the beers of the upstart American brewers known collectively as "The Brett Pack" - deemed that due to their insane devotion to the yeast Brettanomyces. A great night for beer lovers! 7:30 - 9:30pm. $29.99
- Friday Night Sampling: New Holland April 24, 2009 - The Beer Yard
- the doctor will be in the house tonight 5-7pm. "Dr. Joel," that is, aka known as New Holland sales rep Joel Amato. He'll be sharing New Holland Golden Cap Saison and Mad Hatter IPA with everybody who stops by. Mark will be taking temperatures and checking blood pressures.
- Hallertau Hop Queen Visits Victory April 25, 2009 - Victory Brewing Company, Acorn Lane, Downingtown
- Stop by from 1-3pm and meet the Hallertaur Hop Queen and members of the German Hop-Growers Assoc. Victory will also be releasing the five beers specially created for the Craft Brewers Conference.
- Manayunk Brewfest April 25, 2009 - Manayunk Brewery & Restaurant, 4120 Main Street Philadelphia
- 1-5pm. Two dozen plus breweries, more than 50 beers, young lovelies in the spring sunlight and, too bad for those who hesitated, Sold Out.
- HopFest V @ Drafting Room Spring House April 25, 2009 - The Drafting Room, 900 North Bethlehem Pike, Spring House
- An all day affair featuring a collection of some of the finest hop induced ales. To wit:
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Dock Street Hop Garden
Drafting Room 14th Anniversary Ale
Victory Yakima Twilight
Victory 132 Cent
River Horse Hop-A-Lottamus
Tröegs Nugget Nectar
Dogfish Head 120 Minute
Fort Collins Rocky Mountain IPA
Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale
Founders Double Trouble
Green Flash Imperial IPA
Iron Hill Kryptonite
Oskar Blues Wet-Hopped Gordon
Rogue Captain Sig’s Deadliest Ale
Hopping Frog Mean Manalishi
Taps open at Noon. Pay as you go.
- Brewphoria @ Canal St. Pub April 25, 2009 - Canal Street Pub & Restaurant 535 Canal Street Reading, PA
- Reading's first and only beer festival. This is the spring session of this bi-annual event. 6-10pm. Details on website.
- Lambertville Shad Fest April 25, 2009 - April 26, 2009 - Lambertville, NJ
- Lambertvillewill celebrate the28th annual Shad Festival on tis weekend.. Each year the festival highlights the region's arts community, the City of Lambertville, the Delaware River, and of course, the Shad! Drop by the entertainment area at River Horse Brewing Company and watch a Zumba demonstration. Zumba combines high energy and motivating music with unique moves and combinations that allow the Zumba participants to dance away their worries. Details on the website.
- Founder's Pint Night @ Drafting Room Exton April 30, 2009 - Drafting Room Exton, 635 N. Pottstown, Pike, Exton
- The beers on tap: Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Double Trouble, Dirty Bastard, Red Rye, Centennial IPA & Cerise Cherry Ale. 6pm. Pay as you go.