If you have a beer event or other activity coming up which would be of interest to our audience, please let us know so we can include it on our calendar.
Events for December 2008
- Ho Ho Holiday Brews December 02, 2008 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Don Russell was Joe Sixpack long before Sarah Palin whispered his name. The nationally acclaimed beer writer will share the warming and tasty history of winter brews featured in his brand new book, Christmas Beer, while you savor some of the finest examples from around the world: Belgian Bière de Noël, English Winter Warmers, American Christmas Ales, Dopplebock and silly Santa spoofs. Whether you're celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or Festivus, Joe Sixpack will ease you into the holiday season with these full-flavored winter brews. $45. 6:30-8pm
* Tuesday, December 2
* 6:30 - 8:00 PM
* $45 per attendee
- Meet The Brewer Series: Victory Brewing December 03, 2008 - Spinnerstown Hotel, 2195 Spinnerstown Rd., Spinnerstown
- Prima Pils, Gold Rush Ale, ESB & Bags Packed Porter paired with fantastic hors d' oeuvres prepared by Chef Karl. 7-9pm
$35 per person. Reservations: 215.536.7242
- Annual Mad Elf Party @ Grey Lodge Pub December 05, 2008 - Grey Lodge Pub, 6235 Frankford Ave., Philadelphia
- The official 2008 Mad Elf Party at the Grey Lodge Pub will feature both 2008 and 2007 Mad Elf on tap, and legendaryjust-married sales re[ Nick Johnson will be selling 2008 Mad Elf gear. More details to follow.
- Repeal Day Celebration December 05, 2008 - Memphis Taproom, 2331 E. Cumberland Street
- On December 5, 1933 the Volstead Act was repealed and the 21st Amendment to the US Constitution was ratified, re-legalizing alcohol and ending Prohibition. This December 5, Memphis Taproom will celebrate the 75th anniversary of this historic occasion by rolling back prices and pouring all beer on draft for just a buck from 3pm-4pm! Join Memphis Taproom in raising a glass in celebration of our inalienable rights! Expect special stuff on draft all day.
- Cliveden Winter Beer Festival December 06, 2008 - Liveden of the National Trust, 6401 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia
- Cliveden presents the city's only Winter Beer Festival featuring a wide array of winter and holiday brews from as many as twenty local breweries. Plus Rich Wagner will present: “The Beers and Breweries of Colonial Philadelphia. ”Proceeds from the event will benefit Cliveden and its community revitalization programs. 2-6pm general attendance, but the festivities begin with a special VIP session from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. in the Cliveden Carriage House. VIP ticket holders will have access to a variety of specialty beers selected for the occasion, as well as some of the finest award winning local and regional home brews. Each ticket to the General Session will include access to all brews on-site, with each visitor being given a glass to sample the diversity of brews. In addition, a program on the history of local beer and brewing will be offered to compliment the extensive range of beers and food on tap for the afternoon. VIP Session tickets include entry to the General Session and will be available for $65; General Session tickets will cost $45 if purchased in advance, and $50 at the door. Advanced tickets can be purchased online.
- TJ's Fifth Annversary Celebration December 06, 2008 - TJ's Restaurant & Drinkery, Paoli Village Shops, Paoli
- The 5-Year Anniversary of TJ's Drinkery will be marked by the tapping of the special keg-conditioned British Style Pale Ale made for TJ's by Sly Fox. It will be featured on the restaurant's hand pump throughout the anniversary year.
Also scheduled to be on tap: 2007 Troegs Mad Elf, 2008 Troegs Mad Elf, 2007, Russian River Pliny the Elder,
Dogfish Head WorldWide Stout, Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti, 2007 North Coast Old Stock, North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, Weyerbacher 13, Allagash Curieux, Allagash Musette, Allagash FOUR,Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter, Ithaca Ten, Founders Breakfast Stout, Harpoon Leviathan Series Imperial IPA and
2008 Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van de Keizer.
Plus, TJ's will be raffling off a basket of cellar aged beers with all proceeds benefiting Saint Gabriel's Food Cupboard. 7pm-1am. Pay as you go.
- Beer Geek's Winter Dream December 09, 2008 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Matthias Neidhart of B.United International scours the world's breweries to bring superior beers to the United States, such as Schneider, De Dolle, Hitachino and J.W. Lees. For this class, Matthias will break out brand new and truly rare winter beers from some remarkable breweries in Belgium, Italy, Denmark and Finland. For all you "been there, drunk that" beer geeks out there, trust us - you have likely not tried any of these special brews. 6:30-8pm $60
- Joe Sixpack Signing @ Tavern 17 December 10, 2008 - Tavern 17, 220 S. 17 St., Philadelphia
- Don Russell will host a signing of his Christmas Beers: The Cheeriest, Tastiest and Most Unusual Holiday Brews from 6-8PM, including samples of i some brews from his list of “50 Best Christmas Beers." For more information, call 215-790-1799.
- Sly Fox Promo @ Earth, Bread & Brewery December 11, 2008 - Earth Bread + Brewery, 7136 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia
- Flatbread and Tom's Bakers beers are the featured attraction at the city's newest brewpub, but there are plenty of guest taps as well and most them will be carrying Sly Fox tonight. Pikeland Pils, Christmas Ale, Saison Vos, Black Raspberry Reserve, Oatmeal Stout, Ichor, Rt. 113 IPA and O'Reilly's Stout will be pouring. Brewers Brian O'Reilly and Tim Ohst, plus Beer Lass Suzanne Woods, will be on hand. Free pint glasses too. Pay as you go.For more information: 215.242.6666
- East End Harvest Ale @ Drafting Rooms December 11, 2008 - Drafting Room, Exton & Spring House
- Both Exton & Spring House Drafting Room locations will feature a firkin tapping of East End Big Hop Harvest Ale @ 5:30 pm. Pay as you go.
- Mad Elf Party (with Reindeer Stew!) @ Teresa's December 11, 2008 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- Troegs Mad Elf Party with Reindeer Stew, yes reindeer stew, back by popular demand. Reindeer meat braised with Troegs Mad Elf with vegetables and cherries. Featured drafts will be Mad Elf both 2008 and 2007), Hopback Amber on cask and more. 6pm Pay as you go.
- IPA Project Day 2008 December 12, 2008 - Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery, Phoenixville
- This year's fifth annual IPA Project Day will feature 11 varietals on tap, the release of the 2008 Odyssey Imperial IPA on draught and in bottles/case and firkins of both the 2007 and 2008 renditions of Odyssey and a cask of Rt. 113 on the handpumps. All that, plus Special Announcement about the future of...well, that would be telling. 11Am until...? Pay as you go.
- Holiday Beer Bash @ Blue Ox Bistro December 13, 2008 - Blue Ox Bistro Bar & Grille, 7880 Oxford Ave., Fox Chase
- Featuring Spaten Holiday Bock, Sly Fox Christmas Ale, Anchor Ckhristmas Ale, Corsendonk Christmas Ale, Troegs Mad Elf and more, $3 sampler of all holiday beers. Music by D J Frank. 9-11pm. Pay as you go.
- 14th Annual Monks' Holiday Dinner December 16, 2008 - Monk's Cafe, 16 & Spruce Sts., Philadelphia
- Holiday Ales and Holiday Fare. SOLD OUT.
- Maredsous Blonde Debut @ Teresa's December 16, 2008 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- The gang at Teresa's Next Door will be tapping the first keg of Maredsous Blonde, which is new to the market. Also on draft will be the Dubbel and Tripel, formerly known as 8 & 10. Duvel-Ommegang is rebranding the beers Blonde, Cubbel Tripel instead of 6, 8 &10 for the American market. 6pm Pay as you go.
- Victory Old Ho Party @ Teresa's December 17, 2008 - Teresa's Next Door, 124 N. Wayne Ave.. Wayne
- Teresa's will be tapping a 2007 Keg of Old Ho along with two special casks rarely seen outside the brewery, ESB and Bags Packed Porter. Sales Rep Tracy Mulligan will be on hand talking up Victory and giving away prizes and such. 6pm Pay as you go.
- Yards Promo @ Cantina Dos Sequndos December 17, 2008 - Cantina Dos Sequndos, 931 N. 2nd St., Philadelphia
- Meet Yards brewer Frank Winslow at Cantina Dos Segundos, which features the largest selection of tequilas and mezcals in Philadelphia. Dos will be pouring $2 pints of Yards ESA, Philadelphia Pale Ale, and fresh from the firkin, Yards Brawler. 7-9pm. More Information: 215.925.4471
- Bear Republic Night @ Ortino's Northside December 18, 2008 - Ortino's Northside, Rt. 29, Zieglersville
- Keep the pint night with Bear Republic, featuring Racer 5, Hot Rod Rye and Big Black Bear Stout. 7PM Pay as you go.
- A Revolution Is Brewing December 18, 2008 - Tria Fermentation School • Medical Arts Building, 1601 Walnut St, Phila
- Crazy times call for crazy beer, so join renegade brewer Rob Tod of Allagash Brewing Company for a survey of the new frontiers in American beer. Taste what all the fuss is about with one of America's superstar brewers and a Fermentation School favorite. 6:30-8pm $55. Sold out, standing room only.
- Sly Fox 13th Anniversary Party @ Grey Lodge Pub December 19, 2008 - Grey Lodge Pub, 6235 Frankford Ave., Philadelphia
- Quoth the inimitable Scoats: "Sly Fox turns 13 in December. 13! 13! 13! We can't let that go uncelebrated. We will feature 13 Sly Fox Beers of Xmas. Well one beer of Xmas and 12 others, but all will be Sly Fox. We'll have Sly Fox in draft, handpump cask, gravity cask, cans and bottles.
Draft (2): Aurora IPA and a sixtel of Black Raspberry
On our Handpump (1): Rt. 113 IPA back up with British Pale
Gravity Pour Firkin (1): cask-conditioned Phoenixville Pale Ale
Cans (4): Dunkel Lager, Royal Weisse, Pikeland Pils, Phoenixville Pale Ale
Big Bottles (4): Ichor, Xmas, Odyssey, and Gang Aft Agley.
For those who are counting, that makes 12,.. or does it?"
- Dawson Street Pub 20th Anniversary Party December 20, 2008 - Dawson St. Pub, 100 Dawson St., Manaynk
- The Dawson Street Pub will host the party in conjunction with Yards Brewing Company featuring a firkin of special Yards ale just for this special occasion. To highlight the festivities, Philly-area funk-rock band Slide will reunite for a one-night only performance. The evening will also showcase Philadelphia-based bands spanning the 20-year life of the Dawson Street Pub. 9pm - ? Pay as you go. And go!
- Chistmas Beer Book & Beers @ Gulliftys December 23, 2008 - Guilifty's Grille, 1149 Lancaster Ave., Rosemont
- Join Joe Sixpack (Don Russell) and Peter Cherpack of for a book signing of Joe's great new Christmas Beer Book. Try some great Christmas beers at the bar and chat with Don and Peter. More infor: 610.525.1851
- Boxing Day Beer Festival [UPDATED] December 26, 2008 - Memphis Taproom, 2331 E. Cumberland Street
- Join Memphis Taproom for a (day-after-Christmas) Boxing Day Beer Festival, serving some of the best Holiday & Seasonal Ales from around the world. Expect amazing beers from Harvey's, Tröegs, De Dolle, DuPont Brasserie, Harviestoun, Brouwerij Het Anker and others. In addition to celebrating great beer, Memphis Taproom will be celebrating the true spirit of Boxing Day by collecting canned food and gently used winter coats and warm blankets for donation to two local organizations that distribute to families in need. $1 of each draft if you by bring in a coat, a blanket, or 3 cans of nourishing food.
It turns out we can focus our donations on kid's clothing and be even more useful this year.
Mercy Neighborhood Ministries who will be distributing our donations is in dire need of clothing for their Child Care Program families. Basics sound like the most important, but used clothing of all types will be put to very good use. According to Brendan's Aunt Marie who runs the program:
"The kids have come to us with no socks or even underwear. We have a lot of needy kids but this year much more than usual, and unusually needy."
Got used kids clothes in your house that are ready for a second life? Bring them in to Memphis Taproom on December 26. We'll be open at 8am for the Beer Festival.
(Got clothes to donate, but don't plan on attending the Beer Festival? We'll take them anytime. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.)
All donated kids clothes will find homes, but these are the sizes of some specific kids in need:
Boys / Shirt: 8-10 / Pants: 8-10 / Shoe size: 12
Girls / Shirt: 6 / Pants: 6/ Shoe size: 11
Girls / Shirt: 5 / Pants: 5 / Shoe size: 10
- Christmas Beer Fest December 27, 2008 - University of Pennsylvania Museum, 3260 South St., PhilA
- More than 50 holiday beers and a food buffet. 1-4pm. $75 in advance, $90 at door if available. VIP Session starts at 12:30, V.I.P. lunch served at 1:30 -- $125. Includes exclusive sit-down luncheon with Don "Joe Sixpack" Russell, complimentary copy of his new book, "Christmas Beer: The Cheeriest, Tastiest, Most Unusual Holiday Brews and an exclusive sampling of rare, vintage Christmas beers. Tickets and more information at website.
- New Year's Eve/New Year's Day @ Standard Tap December 31, 2008 - January 01, 2009 - Standard Tap, 901 N 2nd St., Philadelphia
- A Yards firkin will be tapped at 6pm New Year's Eve and a Mad Elf/Golden Monkey dance party will begin at 10pm, feeaturing Mad Elf and Golden Monkey at happy hour prices all night and DJ Frosty spinning in the back rooms upstairs.
Regular hours on New Years Day, 4pm-2am. 20% of all sales that day will be going to benefit Katrina Mansfield, one of the neighbors around the Tap who was attacked in her house a couple weeks ago. She is in the hospital still, but getting better. Party on and support a good cause--is there a better way to start the New Year?